A flooded basement in your Maryland home can cause property damage, and cause an expensive clean-up. Additionally, a flooded basement in your Maryland home can lead to a number of health problems and risks. Mold grows in excessive indoor humidity or water accumulation – like when you have a flooded basement in your Maryland home. When mold spores land on a damp spot indoors, they begin growing and multiplying, and can live on such surfaces as wood, paper, and carpet. The only way to stop mold from growing is by eliminating the cause of moisture – the flooded basement in your Maryland home.

When you have a flooded basement in your Maryland home, the mold can cause health problems for those in the home. When exposed to a great deal of mold, some family members – particularly those with allergies and asthma – can experience mild to serious health problems. Sometimes the mold will even trigger symptoms in individuals who do not have allergies. Allergic reactions to mold can be immediate or delayed. Symptoms of an allergy to mold include:

  • Headache
  • Fatigue
  • Nose and throat irritation
  • Nasal or sinus congestion
  • Sneezing
  • Respiratory problems (i.e. coughing and wheezing)
  • Lung infections
  • Fever
  • Eye irritation
  • Sensitive to light
  • Skin rash or irritation

For more information on a flooded basement in your Maryland home and how to prevent mold, please contact the experts at Basement Waterproofing Nationwide (BWN). There are many causes of basement flooding. BWN’s professionals are trained in over 56 safe and effective foundation waterproofing methods and materials to prevent a flooded basement and mold in your Maryland home. Contact BWN today online or call 1-800-888-0487.